Tuesday, August 28, 2007

GenCon Indy 2007

Can you believe this is Nathan and me? So, GenCon went well. For those of you who don't know what GenCon is, it's the largest gaming convention in the country that doesn't largely involve video games. This is role-playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons, collectible card games, like Magic: The Gathering, and all the board games and miniature gaming stuff. Yeah, it's awesome.

What you are seeing above is a piece done by Jason Engle, for the Demon Hunters Role-Playing Game, which will be coming out this fall by Margaret Weis Productions. That's right, the folks who brought you the Serenity Role-playing Game and the new Battlestar Galactica Role-playing game, licensed Dead Gentlemen's Demon Hunters property to do a new role-playing game. So far, the feedback is that it's one of the hilarious good times in role-playing to be had. I co-directed the DVD that will be packaged with the game, and we played it at the booth throughout the con. In the Spring, Ben and I directed the Demon Hunters: Brotherhood Orientation Video, which makes the Demon Hunters RPG the first role-playing game ever to have video content packaged with it. We're nominated for an award for next year already!

The video gathered a crowd like the old days when our movie The Gamers was still new. It was refreshing to see that we could still draw a crowd.

In attendance from our group was also Cindy, Steve Wolbrecht, Chris Duppenthaler, Jen & Dave Page, and Chris and Sarah Ode. We had a blast hanging out with our friends at Margaret Weis Productions.

You can click HERE for more GenCon pictures.

We had a screening of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, which was packed. That was even on a Friday afternoon at 4pm, when people were running games and whatnot! There was even a panel for Monte Cook that people had to skip out on (Sorry Monte).

We were also invited as special guests to Tracy Hickman's Killer Breakfast, which is this Improvisational show he does, running a game with people from the audience as players, and killing their characters in creative ways. It's really a spectacular and entertaining show. And HUMBLING! We were invited along with people like Ed Greenwood and even Gary Gygax (Co-creator of D&D)!!!

I died in the first 30 seconds at the table when he asked "why are you here?" to which I bent over to the microphone replied in my deepest voice, "I'm Johnny Cash". Apparently that was explanation enough for him, and I was going to answer every question with a Johnny Cash song, but my improv wasn't up to snuff and was dead in a matter of moments.

Well, that's about all I can say for now on the trip. Of course promptly upon returning I got some kind of head cold that laid me out. I went to bed at 6:30pm last night. My sinus still kind of feel like they want to implode. Everyone at the office is getting it too, and I know it's not because of me since people I haven't seen in person in over two months are coming down with the same symptoms on the other side of the city.

Ick.

1 comment:

CV said...

Loved the pictures! Glad you had a good time.

We have more room now, but we'll see how it goes. We've put word out to see if anyone wants her should things not work out here.

Hope you're feeling better.